Silica gel

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Mon, 07 Sep 1998 23:15:07 -0400

At 07:58 AM 9/7/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Do the manufacturers put a light coating of some kind, like grease, on the
>wire? I know that the wire certainly isn't stainless steel. Might it be
>best to avoid vigorous cleaning of wire in pianos near the ocean, since it
>might remove whatever this is?

Part 1: Not that I'm aware. If you sense some slickum (yes Ron, you may use
the word) I think that's residual from keeping the dies lubed. I want to
recall there being a final "rinse" cycle after drawing, but frankly don't
remember whether there is an attempt to wipe off, or otherwise remove this
prior to spooling/packaging. However, Mapes is the only wire-drawing
facility I've visited, and I can easily be wrong on any/all of this.

Speaking of Mapes, I was curious by one particular room that had, I dunno,
seemed like 50 or more groups of guitar wire, all with different
manufacturers labels. I think there's a story in here somewhere. Genuine
OEM parts, anyone?

Part 2: Don't think there's any problem with light, vigorous, or downright
get-down wire cleaning near the ocean. Also don't think any efforts will
last more than three days, regardless of intensity. Best guess mode again:
The closest piano wire can get from a manufacturer is rust-resistant. That
is usually one of the virtues of  plated wire, like Roslau (red? blue?).
This was so popular in SoCal for a while, one might call it was a fad. Then
the long-term effects started kicking in. Something about the plating
flecking off as it crossed areas such as bridge pins, and causing small but
objectionable buzzing. If this sounds like the recent plated center pin
thread, so be it, although I think the wire plating is tin, not nickel.

Speaking of plating flaking off, I've often wondered if Chrysler
moonlighted by making center pins. Based on their bumpers, I use to think
they were hybrid chrome and black oxide! Sorry, flashback at work.

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net