Dissing S&S rails (:)}}?

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 08 Sep 1998 12:54:23 -0500 (CDT)

Jon & others,

   I have no experience with this at all, BUT I have heard that there are
certain acoustic properties of those metal rails which, it is a pretty
safe bet to say, contribute to the Steinway sound. I'll bet that Steinway
has done some tests and a standard wooden rail type action _would_ change
the sound of the piano somewhat. Maybe somebody from Steinway could
elaborate on this.
   The action rail redesign would change a multitude of things, including
not being able to use any of the "Genuine" Steinway (or
for-Steinway-designed) action parts and eliminating many metal parts in the
action area.
   Just some thoughts.

Avery

>Not having replaced a stack I only have questions and speculation.
>Perhaps someone who _has_, can comment on the tactile and tone aspects.
>
>Come on in, the water's fine.
>

>Jon Page
>Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)

Avery Todd, RPT