Zinc plated strings

Michiel van Loon mvanloon@xs4all.nl
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 17:04:31 +0200

Dear friends,
Yesterday I had to evaluate a 1892 1.90m Schiedmayer grand.
The instrument has various problems, and among other things that have to be
done, it badly needs new strings.
The owner said that his former tuner had advised him to use zinc plated
strings because that was what the original strings were. So he bought Röslau
zinc plated strings, from #13.5 up to #21. Only #13 is missing.
IMO the strings in his Schiedmayer are just ordinary steel. I have seen zinc
strings, in particular in English pianos.
You can see the difference clearly, even if the strings are dirty. And most
old English pianos are very dirty, when they come here.
For me there is no other reason to use those strings then to please the
customer, and that is not enough reason for me.
My question is , does any of you know if there is any acoustical difference
(or other) between zinc plated and normal wire?
I have miked the wire and it is just normal metric wire.

I hope someone can help me.

Michiel van Loon
mvanloon@xs4all.nl
Meppel