perplexing problem

tech@steinway.com tech@steinway.com
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 08:58:17 -0400

Del and List,

I agree with most of your response to the original "perplexing problem"
post and would say that your comments about regulation and weigh-off are
good advice, but I must take issue with your statements about the Steinway
production procedures (excerpt below).  You have a lot of credibility and
many on this list seem to believe what you say without question (because it
is usually based on your extensive personal experience).  I would ask,
however, that you not present your speculations about the Steinway factory
as fact.

Weigh-off is one of the last things done to a grand piano before it leaves
our factory.  The only operations done after are final polishing and final
inspection - two to three weeks, at the most.  Final regulation and 90% of
voicing are done immediately prior to the weigh-off specifically so that
they do not alter the touch-weight.  There is simply no opportunity and no
reason for leads to be removed before the piano leaves the factory.

On the rare occasions that the Concert department has removed lead from a
new piano, because of parts changes or hammer size reduction, they have
always plugged the holes.

If anyone on this list comes across a Steinway, just out of the box, that
has empty holes in the keys, please let us know.  We would be happy to help
with plugs or replacement leads, and we would be very curious to know what
happened to the original leads.

Stephen Dove
Steinway & Sons
New York