S&S Damper Pedal question..

tech@steinway.com tech@steinway.com
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 14:00:17 -0400

Phil and List,

You can go so far as to take out the trapwork lever spring.  If the rest of
the system is loose, and they usually are on a piano this old, then there
should not be any problems.  If the system is tight there might be some
lost motion in the pedal, which would feel odd, but not prevent proper
operation.

Tight sustain pedals are something that we have actually addressed
recently.  Scott Jones changed the geometry on the lever so that the pedal
would be easier to depress.  This change should be present on all New York
grands made since 1997.

Stephen Dove
Steinway & Sons
New York