S&S "ruined" ??

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 16:08:38 EDT

In a message dated 9/10/98 11:52:12 AM Central Daylight Time,
remoody@easnet.net writes:

<< I thought someone would comment on this "official S&S service guy".  Even
 if he is, his statements are libelous.
 	It is my understanding that there are no "official" or "authorized"
 Steinway service persons except those on Steinway's payroll.  Something
 about there are no "authorized" persons, even those "factory trained",
 because S&S does not have control over what they do away from the factory.
 I saw this somewhere, perhaps on their web site?  >>

Richard,

I didn't see the original post because I have been on and off the List lately
but what you have said above is what Bill Garlick told our group in a factory
training seminar in 1986.  Yet, I still see from time to time "Authorized
Steinway Service" in ads or on business cards.  One of our local RPTs
advertises that way and has for about 5 years.  When challenged about it, the
reply has been that "PTG has a process for such a complaint or grievance and
so I will continue to advertise the way that I want until a formal complaint
process is undertaken".

With all of the charges and counter charges hullabaloo that has taken place
recently, no one wants to get involved so the offender continues to advertise
a false association with both Steinway and Yamaha.  In my view, this
individual only hurts his reputation by doing this.  Having plenty of skill
and experience, there is no need to falsely identify with these manufacturers.
Support and referrals from other local techs don't come as easily to one who
breaks these kinds of rules.

As for "genuine Steinway parts", another local rebuilder of exquisite
reputation was offended by a young S & S staff technician who remarked when
seeing an 1885 Steinway C on display at an Annual Convention,  "This is no
Steinway rebuild!".  The remark was based on the fact that the rebuilder had
spent some $800 alone to purchase from a manufacturer in England the original
kind of iron wound strings that were used in the bichord section of the bass.
They did, indeed have a different tone than all copper strings from Mapes
might have had.  Needless to say, the hammers and other action parts were not
"Genuine Steinway" (from the factory in New York) either, because those would
not have fit properly.

This instrument recently sold for a handsome $75,000.  I'm sure that the
customer or anyone who ever heard this piano in the many public performances
it was featured in before its sale considered it to be "ruined".

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin