Resources: Atlas and magazines

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 21:14:20 -0500

Dear Friends,

I am sending this again with no coding.  I am sorry, I didn't realize that
my e-mail program would cause a problem.

David V

Missouri Atlas and Gazetteer

On my tuning rounds I travel over a 7 or 8 county area in Southwest
Missouri.  I have a nice brand new Rand-McNally Road Atlas of the United
States and Canada, but it does not have enough detail, and I was having
difficulty finding a road map that showed all of the little county roads
and lanes.  I have recently discovered a new road atlas that has been
helpful to me (i.e. keeping me from getting lost on such a regular basis).

I purchased the Missouri Atlas and Gazetteer at Walmart for about $16.95.
You can also see more about it on the web at http://www.delorme.com.
DeLorme, P.O. Box 298, Yarmouth, Maine 04096, Phone (207) 846-7000.  Each
page contains a detailed map of one small area of the state, usually about
2 or 3 counties.  The detail shows all of the small county highways and
roads, including creeks, rivers and lakes.

Piano and Keyboard Magazine

An excellent periodical that I would highly recommend for you to read is
Piano & Keyboard Magazine.  If you have any clients who are  piano teachers
or professional musicians, you ought to become familiar with this magazine.

The most recent issue (September/October 1998) contained letters to the
editor about the new D.S. Standard piano keyboard which is 7/8 the size of
a normal keyboard (Remember, you read about it here on the Pianotech list
about 6 months ago!).

There was a short article (page 12) about the new custom-designed cherry 9'
Baldwin ConcertMaster grand that President and Mrs. Clinton recently were
given.  Page 70 has a one page article about the Baldwin ConcertMaster.
(See http://www.concertmaster.com)

On page 24-27, there is an article about the new Revenaugh Lower Lid which
is supposed to help improve the tone of a concert grand piano.  This lower
lid is a mirror image of the upper lid, and is designed to help focus the
sound from the underside of the soundboard out into the audience.
(Remember folks, it was discussed on Pianotech here a few months ago).

There are also articles and advertisements about concert pianists, piano
competitions and festivals, teachers, conservatories of music, teaching
methods, new piano designs and review of books relating to the piano.  Page
55 has a 1/4 page add promoting Registered Piano Technicians of the PTG.
Ads from Young Chang, Yamaha, Kawai, New England Classic Piano
Restorations, Fandrich and Sons, Bluthner, Mason & Hamlin, and Boston round
out the issue.

A one year subscription (6 issues) to Piano & Keyboard is $23.95, and a 2
year subscription ( 12 issues) is $39.95.  A special student rate of $14.95
per year is available with for piano students.  If you can't get a
subscription for yourself, at least you can check it out from your local
library or recommend it to teachers and students that you know.

The address is:
Piano & Keyboard Magazine
P.O. Box 2626
San Anselmo, CA 94979-2626
(800) 233-3690

The Church Pianist

I recently was shown a magazine that contains beautiful arrangements of
hymns and religious songs for pianists to play at church during an
offertory or other time of meditation during the worship service.  I think
the cost is about $30.00 for a 1 year subscription.  The entire magazine is
just music, I don't think there are any articles or advertisements.

The Church Pianist
Lorenz Publishing Co.
501 E. 3rd St.
P.O. Box 802
Dayton, OH  45401-0802

I hope that you will find these resources valuable to you and your clients!

I am sorry if you are getting this message twice.  Our Internet Service
Provider evidently crashed over the last weekend.

Sincerely,
David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT
Joplin, MO
dkvander@clandjop.com