Piano Technician Training

Jory A. Olson jory@teleport.com
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 23:28:56 -0700

I've been reading the list for several months now, and I've learned a great deal about pianos.

Now I have a suggestion.  From an "outsiders perspective" it seems to me that there is quite a bit of confusion floating around the list about various materials.  There was a long thread about glues awhile back.  Recently there was a discussion about how to remove tape from keys.  Now there is another WD-40 thread about to take off running.

Based on what I've read (some of which scares me crazy) I think it would be a really good idea if the Guild would sponsor a short series of lectures or articles to fill in the missing knowledge.  This could be done at the annual PTG conference or in the magazine that you folks always are talking about.  I would think there would be at least one piano player out there that is also a chemistry professor of some kind that could put together a course that would be really helpful.

I would think an explanation of the different types of plastic, PMMA, ABS, PTFE (Teflon) styrene, etc, and there differences would be one lecture.  Another lecture could be on solvents, acetone, alcohol, MEK, benzene, and so on.  Yet another lecture could be on glues.  Yet another could be on lubricants.  Do I hear one on rat poisons and their use in pianos?  Somewhere in there would be a discussion of verdigris in old Steinways and why that happened.   I'm sure you get the general idea.

I also see this being a part of the standard piano technician coursework.

In the mean time, I MUST say that knowing what I do, I would fire anybody using WD-40 or any other liquid "lubricant" anywhere near my piano especially on my action.  I would NEVER put lighter fluid on piano keys.  I would not use benzene as a solvent because the MSDS (material safety data sheet) is just too scary.  Same goes for MEK.
Here's why:

1. WD-40 is not a lubricant.  Period.  It was designed to displace water in mechanisms like locks so they wouldn't freeze up in cold weather.  Even locksmiths don't use WD-40 anymore because of the dirt problem.  If you put WD-40 in a piano action the lower molecular weight components will evaporate away leaving the heavier, sticky molecules behind to pick up lint, dust, dirt, and everything else.  For my money, Teflon (PTFE) power, or a Teflon based spray like Permalon or Triflon is the way to go.  Graphite is still a winner.  This Protek stuff sure worked well on the damper mechanism squeak, but I don't think I would use it on any action parts....to sticky.
2. If the piano keys are made of styrene, lighter fluid will dissolve them.  I'm not even sure how lighter fluid and PMMA (Acrylic) go together.  I like the Citra-Solv or whatever it's called idea.  A mild citric acid doesn't sound like it would be too harmful.  Acetone will dissolve styrene so watch out.  I believe some of the earlier action parts were made of styrene.
3. The data supporting the notion that MEK and benzene are carcinogens are just too compelling for me.

I don't mean to be critical, I just see that a series of articles or lectures would really help you folks in your day-to-day business.  Heck, I'm still trying to figure out why there are twelve notes to an octave and not 19, but don't worry, I've got a book that I will explain it to me.

Jory