WD-40 back

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 06:52:23 -0500

Hi Mr. Simon,
	Your suggestions are good.  I will look for some pipe cleaners today.
What kind and size of can do you use.?
	I was always afraid of using WD-40 at the pressure bar because of
travelling.  I used liquid wrench instead but it is super messy and always
the lid comes off the can and it pours it self out in my truck.
Thanks for the tip.
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G.
 St. Louis, MO.
Competent Service since 1962
 Do what is right and do no harm
 Creator of  Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups and Practical Piano  Peripherals

pianoman@inlink.com

----------
> From: BSimon1234@aol.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: WD-40
> Date: Saturday, September 12, 1998 2:38 AM
>
> Thought I would throw in my two cents an the use of WD-40.
>
> The only place on a piano I ever use WD-40 is on the let-off regulating
rail
> of big old upright pianos, where the threaded stems of the regulating
buttons
> are so rusted in place that they break before moving.  I run a syringe or
> saturated pipe cleaner along the stems of the buttons, wait a few
minutes, and
> then regulate. I have done this for 20 years and even a few days  later I
can
> detect no "residue" or adverse effects of the treatment, and the stems
still
> regulate very well. Ten years later they still regulate well.
>
> A technician I learned from used a  pipe cleaner lightly wetted with
WD-40 to