Piano Technician Training

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 12:04:28 -0400

Would you be interested in writing articles or giving a class at one of our
seminars or convention about the chemistry encountered in piano work?
We're always interested in the knowledge an *outsider* can bring into our
field.  For the most part, we technicians merely experiment with the
materials, obviously not fully aware of some of the consequences.  Your
posts to date have been very informative.

Z! Reinhardt RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net

----------
> From: Jory A. Olson <jory@teleport.com>
> To: 'pianotech@ptg.org'
> Subject: Piano Technician Training
> Date: Saturday, September 12, 1998 2:28 AM

[snip]

> Based on what I've read (some of which scares me crazy) I think it would
be a really good idea if the Guild would sponsor a short series of lectures
or articles to fill in the missing knowledge.  This could be done at the
annual PTG conference or in the magazine that you folks always are talking
about.  I would think there would be at least one piano player out there
that is also a chemistry professor of some kind that could put together a
course that would be really helpful.

> I would think an explanation of the different types of plastic, PMMA,
ABS, PTFE (Teflon) styrene, etc, and there differences would be one
lecture.  Another lecture could be on solvents, acetone, alcohol, MEK,
benzene, and so on.  Yet another lecture could be on glues.  Yet another
could be on lubricants.  Do I hear one on rat poisons and their use in
pianos?  Somewhere in there would be a discussion of verdigris in old
Steinways and why that happened.   I'm sure you get the general idea.

> I also see this being a part of the standard piano technician coursework.

[big snip]