WD-40

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 12:02:43 -0500 (CDT)

List,

This subject has been flogged to death many times, over many years, with the
same things said many times over. That being the case, I had just as well
add my opinion to the server clog. One more couldn't hurt.

I don't care how WD-40 was originally intended to be used. I don't care what
it's made of, and what it's purported benefits may be. I also don't care how
many glowing endorsements it receives from techs who use it as a flange
lubricant. I do care that I have seen what happens to applied WD-40 as it
ages and, despite any apparent short term benefit it seems to manifest, I
have personally witnessed that it will eventually turn into sticky crap,
given time, in whatever application I have chosen to use it. That is enough
for me. If that isn't enough for the techs who choose to use as a flange
lubricant in a piano they can't afford to replace, I suppose they can only
hope that they retire before the self destruct activates. I spend way too
much time trying to figure ways NOT to screw something up to have any
sympathy for them when they get the call. The likely detrimental long term
result is, in my opinion, too high a price to pay for the short term
benefits. There are better products, with lower risk factors. I see no
logically defensible reason to use the stuff in action flanges.

Do it the hard way, THINK. Thanks for listening.

 Ron