Apollo action - Pear Shaped Knuckles

Mike Masters agraffes@worldnet.att.net
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 14:59:09 -0400

List,
        Just sold an action rebuilding job on an Apollo (Wurlitzer)
grand. Will be replacing hammers, shanks, flanges, wippens, keytops,
keybushings, damper system. My question is regarding replacing shanks.
This piano has the pear-shaped knuckles. Can this be easily changed to a
standard knuckle or would rebuilding the old knuckles and shanks be more
appropriate.  The measurements of my sample replacement and the current
look as if it would work. Distance from center pin to center of knuckle
line is 17mm on both. Are there any other things I need to keep in mind
when doing this. Thanks for any replies and suggestions.

Mike Masters
Masters Piano Service
Lakewood, OH