Shelf life

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 17:50:48 -0400

John, while you're at it, and considering where you live, I submit the
following:

Short story: Long ago and far away, during an L.A. chapter meeting, someone
commented that their newly purchased bottle of Titebond from Pacific Piano
Supply was "stringy" and therefore useless. This caused several other
members, including me, to voice the same experiences.

One of the chapter members called Franklin, and reported his conversation.
He was told (if I recall correctly) that Titebond can survive twelve (12)
freeze/thaw cycles. So? Los Angeles was not subject to freezing, whether in
a car trunk or otherwise! Still later, we were told that the particular
shipment (including Titebond) to Pacific Piano had been delayed due to a
midwestern snow storm. Freeze/thaw, freeze/thaw, etc. End of story.

Tips: I started dating my expendable materials from date of purchase, using
indelible ink. The contents may not be factory fresh when I buy them, but
at least I have some form of date reference in lieu of failing memory.
Also, living in the South, I no longer leave my glues/adhesives/epoxies in
the car during winter months. I have a separate, soft-sided and insulated
lunch cooler for sensitive products. This is easily grabbed and slung over
my shoulder when returning home in the evening.

At 02:44 PM 9/12/98 -0300, you wrote:
>List,
>I had previously realized that epoxy and CA adhesives, had a shelf
>life.
>I read the other day that wood glues, the white and yellow etc.,
also have a shelf life.
>I always used to buy the big size to save. (Being Scots) Apparently
>I was wrong, so in future I will purchase smaller sizes, from a
>store that has a big turnover. Thereby allowing the glues to work to
>their full potential.
>Just a thought.
>John M. Ross
>Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.