Whew!

John M. Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 22:10:19 -0300

Ed Carwithen wrote:

> Tuned an old Upton upright Sat.  I have tuned it several times, and left it
> at A=435, 20 c flat.  Generally no problem.  This time it was at +35 cents.
>
> The client has recent purchased a "swamp cooler."  Cooling device that
> pulls room air through a mat of wet straw.  The whole house felt damp, and
> had a musty smell.  The piano had obviously absorbed the moisture.
>
> I managed to lower the pitch to A=440 without breaking anything, but
> how...I just don't know.  I think I may have sold a damp chaser to this
> family.
>
> Wonder what will happen when the weather cools off, and they start using
> their wood stove for heat?
>
> ain't life interesting???
>
> Ed Carwithen
> John Day, OR

Hi,
When the heat goes on the pitch _will_ lower.
At the University I tune for, they want them tuned in September and January.
I have to lower the pitch 20-35c, depending on the piano, in September, when
the humidity is 55%-70%.    In January, I raise them 20-35c, when the humidity
is less than 25%. It has been this way for the last ten years.
They want them put to A440. They realize that more frequent tuning is required
as the humidity changes, but the funds are not available.
Three of the grands, that are used for concerts, are tuned once a month, or
more.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.