In defense of TAR (Was S&S retrofit rails ?)

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 21:45:40 -0500 (CDT)

><<"* They don't get more flexible, just looser.">>
>Duh...Ron if the bolts get looser doesn't the rail move more?; and if the rail
>moves more isn't that de facto "flexing"???

* By what, the couple of thousandths of an inch of slack under the screw?
That still isn't flexing, that's still loose, de facto, ipso facto,
flagrantus demonstratum, or otherwise.... duh. Flexing refers to the
inherent flexibility of the rail, you know, as in BENDING easily????? As in
being easily deformed, by virtue of being fundamentally insubstantial. As in
being somewhat less than stiff. As in non-rigid. As in, if not outright
flacid, not demonstrably minimally flexible. You know? Duh??

><<""* Since I've wanted to shoot the TAR system far more often than I have any
>decent flat rail system, wouldn't the TAR be a better candidate for Kevlar?">>
>
> Well sure........ use it to fabrictae any type system, I wasn't referring to
>any particular one with my post.

* Looked to me like you were.

> <<"but it would still be springy. And why/how would the use of Kevlar remove
>'all possibilities' of unwanted movement? The stuff isn't rigid.">>
>
>Kevlar is the basic raw material and it may be spun, woven, layered, molded,
>etc..
> Any form may be made 'rigid' with the application of Resin suitable for use
>with Kevlar and the rigidity depends only on the layers used and the amount of
>resin, resin formulation and pressure used in fabrication. Kevlar and it
>cousins are certainly stiff enough to make control surfaces for aircraft....so
>it probably would function just fine for an action stack of most any
>description.......I'd hate to pay for the first one though :-)

* The basic redeeming quality of fiberglass, carbon fiber, and kevlar
laminate construction is not rigity, but an outstanding strength to weight
ratio and resilience. If you want rigidity, you go with granite, like the
Baldwin pinblocks.

> I'll try and straighten out the multiple copies of posts on my end.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Thanks,
 Ron