brass hammer flanges repair or replace?

Tempola Music Rolls tempola@swbell.net
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 18:08:54 -0500

Bob Bergantino wrote:

< How does a piano become an "orchestration"?  Am I missing something
   Here
Please explain what this means- who knows I may have something intelligent
say about it.

Bob all that means is that I am converting Upright pianos to players by
building my own stacks(player actions) an orchestration often has drums,
xyophone and other musical goodies played by a paper roll. complicated, yes
but a real treat to listen to.

Les Smith wrote:
PS: While there is nothing wrong with asking such questions ,  you must
expect answers to be somewhat slow in coming, because Pianotech is a
piano-technician's list and most of them want NOTHING at all to do with
a player piano--many, if not most, don't want to even tune one!

Your'e right Les, (send the player work my way (grin)
 and I realize that.
Just because I build player actions for  pianos, The piano itself is my
prime concern, and the automatic part secondary. I am one of the very few
people who realize that player pianos are dependent upon the condition of
the piano itself. Some player people don't care about the piano at all, and
the musical results are horrible. Sadly
player techs have gotten well deserved disrespect from the professional
piano techs.

Please view my questions as piano questions and forget the automatic part. I
will add that part to the piano _after_ the piano is correct.

 I don't ask player questions here. I joined the pianotech list to learn and
cure piano problems. Piano servicing is an absolute must in my line of work.
If I can glean repairs and methods from the pianotech list, my craftsmanship
will become better.
---------------------
Susan wrote:
I wouldn't go with the normal (pretty lousy) supply house butts and
flanges. I'd probably either buy them from Renner or from Yamaha or from
Kawai. I'd choose a hammer compatible with the age and type of piano,
probably a cold press hammer like Ronsen. I'd work to make the weight
compatible with the original hammers, and I'd consider tapering the sides
of the hammer tails progressively in the upper treble, which I've often
seen on decent old uprights with good-sounding trebles

Thanks Susan!
sounds like a solid approach :-) isn't the Kawai parts ABS plastic?

Andy & Chris Taylor
"The Lone Arranger"
Tempola Music Rolls Ltd.
"Taylor Made Just For You"