brass hammer flanges repair or replace?

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 17:27:17

>---------------------
>Susan wrote:
>I wouldn't go with the normal (pretty lousy) supply house butts and
>flanges. I'd probably either buy them from Renner or from Yamaha or from
>Kawai. I'd choose a hammer compatible with the age and type of piano,
>probably a cold press hammer like Ronsen. I'd work to make the weight
>compatible with the original hammers, and I'd consider tapering the sides
>of the hammer tails progressively in the upper treble, which I've often
>seen on decent old uprights with good-sounding trebles
>-------------------------------------
>
>Thanks Susan!
>sounds like a solid approach :-) isn't the Kawai parts ABS plastic?
>
>Andy & Chris Taylor
>"The Lone Arranger"
>Tempola Music Rolls Ltd.
>"Taylor Made Just For You"
>http://home.swbell.net/tempola/index/html
>
>-----------------------------

Don Mannino can no doubt tell you about all this. I've seen ABS flanges and
jacks and maybe wippens, but I don't think I've seen butts yet. I wonder
how ABS hammer flanges would stand up to player use, as compared to wood.
Don? Has anybody ever tried that?

I love to save big old good-sounding hunks of pianos, even if the action
needs some work. Who, these days, could afford to build an upright on that
scale? As long as the board can do its stuff, take out the brass rail and
adapt it for flanges, and let it play another 80 years!

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370