Bridle Straps spring clip reply back

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 19:59:00 -0500

Hi Dick,
	I feel very much more satisfaction tuning and working for the common man
with average pianos and the occasional fine one than vice-versa.  There is
so much more you can do with an ailing piano just waiting for your care.
	 In the beginning, we all work on the less than desirable instruments and
many would rather do that than work on fine grands with particular
players/owners.  It is one of my attributes that I finally have found the
skill level that I have and revel in it.  I can do wonders for an average
piano and do average work on a fine piano.  That doesn't make me or anyone
else better than another.  It is like some people love to make players,
players again.  Many of us wonder, why spend all that time and trouble.
The reason is because it inside them to bring back something that may be
obsolete now but requires all their intelligence and skill to make it work
like it once did.  Working on old uprights is fun in itself as these, many
at least, were the fine pianos that ordinary people back then could afford.
 I would love to see how many of these were when they were new.
	I was one of the very last people who came through the apprentice system
here.  Before I started, it was considered laziness if you sat down to work
and stools were not allowed in the rebuilding shop.  I used to get the jobs
no one wanted to do like refelting sets of wippons, and removing the pins
from a grand by driving with a punch from underneath.  Talk about sore
arms.  Of course one of my jobs also was to run and get coffee and donuts
for everyone when they wanted.  All this for $1.25 and hour in 1962.  That
was $41.61 a week after taxes.  Was I happy to get this pay and do what I
was doing.  You betcha.  I learned as I watched and listened in wonderment.
 Do I do the same jobs the same way I was taught, not always.  As you go
on, you develop your own style and way of doing things and that is the joy
of being your own one person business, you get all the blame and all the
credit.  There were 3 technicians working in the shop I learned in and
today it is hard to find more than one way of doing a job because we simply
don't have access to that many techs except for this place.  Listen to
everyone's opinion and beliefs and then form your own.
Success is waiting for you.
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G.
 St. Louis, MO.
Competent Service since 1962
 Do what is right and do no harm
 Creator of  Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups and Practical Piano  Peripherals

pianoman@inlink.com