brass hammer rails repair or replace?

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 20:33:34 -0700

Andy,

First of all, when you say "orchestration", I assume that you mean
"orchestrion", a player piano with all the bells and whistles.

I think that this piano rates the conversion-to-wooden-flange option.
The brass rail could be duplicated but, unless this is going to be
exhibited in a Baldwin museum, wooden flanges are the tried-and-proven
design.

Carefully measure where the old center pins are in relation to some
reference point, so that you can then calculate how much material to
remove from the action rail to accomodate the wooden flanges. You can
cut the rabbet with a table saw or a router table to get the basic
recess. It would be nice if you could also create a little spline to fit
into the corresponding notch of the flange.

Then, using the brass rail as a scale stick, you can mark and drill for
the flange screws.

This may be written up in PTJ. Let me know if you need a more thorough
description.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT