replacing strings question

Clair Dunn cadunn@vt2000.com
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 05:33:39 -0400

Hi,
I have the replacement bass strings from Schaff for the I&P that I am
working on. I have also been practicing with the coil-making tool that I
just bought. But, while I can now make beautiful coils I have a question.
When I removed the coils from the pins after the strings broke, it was
difficult and took a lot of force so I wonder about putting on the new strings.

Here's the situation:
1.
Before I learned about the coil-maker, I turned all the bass pins out 4
complete turns. Do I turn them back in 3-1/2 turns and then put the coil on?
Or, do I scrap the coil-maker for this job and just turn the coils with the
pins?

2.
For now or for the future, what about the wire through the becket hole? Do I
put the wire through the hole when I am using the coil-maker? If I do, how
in &%&$%^&# do I get it out again without destroying the beauty of the coil?
And, if it does go through the hole on the coil-maker, and I do get it off,
how does the now sprung becket end of the coil get unsprung when I put it on
the turning pin?

And, forgive me, but I don't even know if I am asking these questions correctly.

Ah, sweet mysteries of life. You can tell by the above questions that I will
be eternally grateful for any advice on this.

Clair
Associate Member
cadunn@vt2000.com