replacing strings question

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 07:56:39 -0400

At 05:33 AM 9/15/98 -0400, you wrote:
>1.
>Before I learned about the coil-maker, I turned all the bass pins out 4
>complete turns. Do I turn them back in 3-1/2 turns and then put the coil on?
>Or, do I scrap the coil-maker for this job and just turn the coils with the
>pins?

Yes, turn the pin back in so the hole is at about the 5:00 position.
You only need to turn the pin back a 3/4 turn for replacement.
Make the coil on a dummy pin in a stringing crank.
To make the dummy pin, cut off the lower portio0n of a tuning pin
leaving 1/4" of pin below the becket hole. Then from the bottom of the pin,
cut a slot up to the hole. You may need to widen the kerf to allow the wire to
pass thru it.  Make the coli on the dummy pin, slide the coil down off the
pin.
Using needle-nosed pliers, hold the becket at the coil and place it on the
old pin and work the becket into the hole. A 3/4 turn brings it back to pitch.

I do not use a 'coil maker' so I can not answer your last question.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)