key top repair advice needed (Richard Wagner)

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 16:09:53

Hi, Clair

I know just what you mean about the Ivers & Pond ivory! Perfection, just
incredible, under its dirt and neglect! Whatever grading system they had
for ivory, these were _THE TOPS!!_ (and with sharps of incredible quality,
too.)

I agree with Conrad and David: Richard Wagner's kit is excellent. David had
some good suggestions. Also, be aware that the solvent in it is really
something. I wouldn't use it without a lot of ventilation coming right at
me. I've considered going to a community college and using their chem lab
hood, but so far I haven't needed to use the kit, which I keep for when
_I_, someday, manage to chip an ivory myself.

I believe, also, that if you send the keys to Richard, he will repair them
for a quite reasonable fee. I believe he's on the list? Maybe he could
confirm or deny?

If you do them yourself, I'd practice on a few old scrap keys first, or
keys off a less beautiful piano, to get the hang of things like color
match, and order of operations.

Susan

>> Date:          Tue, 15 Sep 1998 07:45:58 -0400
>> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
>> From:          Jon Page <jpage@capecod.net>
>> Subject:       Re: key top repair advice needed
>
>> Clair,
>> Richard Wagner has a product to repair chipped ivory.
>>
>> Rjwag@pacifier.com
>>
>> As far as the line goes, it adds character.
>>
>> Jon Page
>>

>> At 06:03 AM 9/15/98 -0400, you wrote:
>> >Hi--
>> >I have noticed people mentioning in passing "chip repair". How is this
done?
>> >There is an ad in the latest Journal for a chip repair kit--is that on the
>> >level? Here's what I've got. (Again the I&P) 83 beautiful, perfect keys,
>> >shiny, smooth, black sharps and smooth, unstained white keys. 5 white
>> >keytops have small chips out of their top font edge. Is there a way to fix
>> >these? These keys are 110 years old and when clean, except for the thin
>> >black line of embedded dirt at the join line, they are gorgeous. I want
>> >desperately to fix the five keys. (BTW, anyone have any advice about
>> >disappearing the black line between the keytop front and back?)
>> >
>> >Clair
>> >Associate Member
>> >cadunn@vt2000.com
>> >http://www.vt2000.com/vts/