matchiing key color

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 18:53:17

>Les, or List...I know there are several types, grades of ivory
>that were used.  What I don't know is what what considered the
>prime ivory, what was low quality etc.  If anyone has any info
>on the ivory trade and ways to distinquish one kind of ivory
>with another I'd be very appreciative.

Hi David,
           I believe that the old timers had about 7 grades of Ivory for
piano production, kind of like lumber, flat sawn, quarter sawn, tightness
of grain, and also grain figure.
 I soak all savaged Ivory in warm water to get all the chips and glue off.
This results in the material going a little translucent and it will curl,
but while it is wet it is quite supple. I clamp them between two flat
boards and leave them for a couple of days. On removal they are flat and
clean. Sort them by length and width, suprising the variation.
 If you want them to be nice and white, wet with hydrogen peroxide and
leave in direct sun light, I've been meaning to by a U/V lamp for years.

  I think some of the old pianos may have had bone tops, as quite often
I've seen inferior pianos with a much thicker covering that is very
brittle, seems quite porous and tends to be blotchy yellow. But I've no way
of knowing for sure.

  I think the higher quality material tends to have a tight grain structure
with a very even U shape to the grain with the bottom of the U facing the
front of the key. I have a 6ft Heinzman grand with one piece Ivory Renner
keyboard action and hammers, the Ivory is a work of art.

 Before I jump into a flame suit, this is just an educated observation

Regards Roger
>Also consider a fair price for the matched ivory would be nice!
>
>> Les Smith
>
>David Ilvedson, RPT
>Pacifica, CA
>ilvey@jps.net