like mother like daughter

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 21:06:06

At 11:02 PM 9/15/98 -0400, Jim Harvey wrote:

> A far
>better subject would be the intensity with which female technicians pursue
>their piano technical education compared to their male counterparts. Of
>those I've known, most are... AWESOME, and I'm proud to know them! This
>could segue to another subject, and an area I don't want to go. 8-}

Certainly some of the people mentioned are awesome, all right!

I think that, _if_ women are, on average at least, more thoroughly trained
than men, a possible explanation may be as follows:

Since, especially back in the '70's, piano tuning was (and is) a
non-traditional vocation for women, those who became tuners anyway were
_motivated._ _They knew what they wanted_ and were willing to work hard and
pay their dues. Also, in the early days, they may have felt they needed to
do better work than their male colleagues to have the same credibility.

I'm not all that sure that they are better trained on average, but ...
well, they might be. I doubt there's any practical way to find out.

a couple of ideas, anyway.....

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651