key top repair advice needed

Richard Wagner Rjwag@pacifier.com
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:15:37 -0700

Hi List,

Thanks for the compliments about my ivory repair kit.

While I don't want to use this as a commercial forum, I'll try to answer
some questions that have popped up from various authors these last few days.

>>#1...Be sure you clean the area to be repaired well.  I still <<
>>get a few chips that come loose.<<

Cleaning is important, yes, but I've found that the best way to avoid
repairs popping out is to apply the material "immediately" after it's mixed
up.  This means "put it in while it's still wet and runny."
Also, avoid the temptation to mix up more repair material than will be used
on one key at a time because this stuff bonds best when it's applied within
the first few seconds after it's been mixed up.

>>#2...Richard says his kit will last about 6 months?  But then <<
>>the chemicals evaporate or whatever.<<

Actually, I guarantee it to be usable for up to one year from the date of
purchase.
The liquid component has a shelf life and the manufacturer told me they
don't really know what it is but probably a year is reasonable.
Personally, I've been using some which I know is older than that and it is
still working well.

>>I believe, also, that if you send the keys to Richard, he will repair<<
>>them for a quite reasonable fee. I believe he's on the list? Maybe he<<
>>could confirm or deny?<<

Well... I have done this occasionally and would in the future if
nessessary, but it's really more cost effective and easier for you to do
the repairs yourselves.

I would, however, be happy to answer any questions, or give advice
privately that might be needed.

Thanks again.

Oh yeah! Before I forget.
There was an excellent article on the history of ivory production at the
Pratt Read company including grading systems, great pictures, etc. in the
PTJ about three years ago.  It was the July issue.  That, I do recall.

	Richard Wagner RPT