Groovy Hammers

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 12:19:58

At 12:42 PM 9/16/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Greetings Everyone!
>
>	OK, spot quiz time....
>
>	What do you use to groove/roughen the tails on a newly installed set
>of grand hammers?
>
>	Eagerly awaiting a flood of responses...
>

>Rob Kiddell,
>Registered Piano Technician, PTG
>atonal@planet.eon.net

Hi, Rob

I use Bill Spurlock's jig to shape them to an exact arc, and they check
like mad things. Even though my sanding disk has 80 grit paper on it, the
tails end up feeling smooth as a baby's bum, and the hammers check at
almost exactly the same height no matter the strength of blow. (boast, brag
... well, I didn't think up the method!)

I've used it for a number of sets, with old backchecks for the most part,
and they've all ended up working the same ... once the tails touch the
backchecks, that's that.

So why maul innocent hammer tails and force them to chew leather?

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"With a little more courage, I could get myself into a lot more trouble."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant