Groovy Hammers

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 18:02:26 -0400

I have a checkering file  which I purchased from Ford Piano Supply
_years_ago. One does not need to create gouges but fine ridges.

I don't see this as really chewing up the buckskin, rather it helps
prevent both surfaces from being polished and thereby postponing
that kick-back/spring-up; whatever you want to call it. Eventually
the buckskin/backcheck will need to be replaced, so will the hammer
but in the mean time this helps with solid checking.

The checkering file also comes in handy for prepping glueing surfaces,
especially veneer work with hot glue, ivory; I use it frequently.

Jon Page