Met Cristofori

R. Goodale robert.goodale@NAU.EDU
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 18:50:48 -0600

> I've read two references to restorations to the Cristofori piano at the
> Metropolitan Museum of Art. I was there in July, and although I wanted
> to, I didn't attempt to defeat the barriers keeping me away from the
> instruments. How does one go about getting a close look at the
> Cristofori and other instruments? I take it that some of you have
> managed it.
>
> Bob Anderson
> Tucson,AZ

Hey Bob,

A while back while attending a Steinway tech seminar I had the
opportunity to view the MET Cristofori piano. As fate would have it the
conservator just happen to be there cleaning it behind the ropes. He was
kind enough to allow myself and the group I was with to climb over and
take a closer look, (as well as the other surrounding early pianos). He
then played it a little to allow us to sample it's tone. It is a truly
remarkable instrument though I have heard through numerous sources that
it is by no means all original. Countless partial rebuildings and
various repairs have left the piano in more of a tourist-museum state.
It is my understanding that the current action installed is not the
original but rather a carefully made copy. I beleive the original action
still exists and is preserved somewhere.

Rob Godale, RPT