Retail prices & piano teachers et al.

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 19:56:14 -0400

J Patrick Draine wrote:

> Dear list:
> A short while ago, a list member asked for pricing advice on items sold.
> I am (blowing off steam) and asking the list how they deal with music
> teachers, church music directors, et al. who ask for a price on an artist's
> bench, or a grand piano truck, and then proceed to give you flack for
> daring to get a reasonable profit on the deal. These otherwise wonderful
> customers themselves receive various musical supply catalogs which list
> these items at prices very near our piano supply house wholesale prices
> ("Gee I got a piano truck for $250 only five years ago", to quote an
> otherwise delightful music director).
> What do YOU do?
>
> Aargh!
> Patrick Draine

Patrick:

I would probably say something like, "Well, things have gone up
somewhat, and I believe I am asking a fair price.  But feel free to call
around, and if you find an offer you think is better, go for it!"

Incidentally, I have had some requests for vertical piano dollies and I
sold them in the past.  After a music teacher stumbled over one of those
parts sticking out and was on crutches for months, I ceased selling
them, because I regard them a hazard.  People who insist on buying them
will need to call someone else.  I can do without the money and the
lawsuits (I wasn't sued and want to keep it that way).

Clyde Hollinger