regarding ethics

Tom Dickson dickson@dlcwest.com
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 20:52:57 -0600

Hello all!

    In the recent issue of the PTG Magazine I believe it was Steve Brady
who talked about the knight in shining armor who rides in to replace a
former piano tuner ( sorry about the partial metaphor)..

    Another article discussed doing the best one can for the client at
hand - considering ability to pay, required quality of instrument
function, etc.

    I find myself in a bit of a quandary.  Perhaps members of this list
could give their thoughts to the following.

    As the "new guy" in town, I take on almost anything that comes my
way.  Consequently, I am not doing work on quality concert grands, etc.
I am using my talents to garner the best from the client's piano.  To
me, that is my duty - I feel that what they have is the best they have
got, and should get my best, too.  That's me.

    Recently, a number of new clients have given me horror stories
regarding the last person who worked on their piano.  Most often, it is
a local person who has a high profile.  The things people recall
include:  excessive prices, the belittling of their piano, and the
cutting down of other piano teachers in the area because of their tuning
frequency or piano quality.

    I do not wish to make any major enemies in the market as I believe
there is plenty of various kinds of tuning to satisfy both of us.
However, I am very uncomfortable in this discussion with the client, and
I try my best to emphasize the other tuner's qualifications.

    As a teacher for over 25 years, I am very familiar with and
supportive of our code of ethics.  As piano tuners, where do you stand,
and where do you draw a line.  I would be very interested in the
discussion.

Tom Dickson,

Canada

PS - Despite the camaraderie that is constantly mentioned in the
Journal, I have yet to hear from this RPT - although I have personally
spoken to him.