Full of themselves

R. Goodale robert.goodale@NAU.EDU
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 21:45:45 -0600

Hi all,

I thought I'd bring up a topic here that has been bothering me for a
while. Lately I have been dealing with quite a few "professional
pianists". Sure, they are nice people and are at peace with the world.
My concern and frustration, however, is the mind reading and having the
correct responses and disposition to satisfy their egos.

Example #1: A couple of weeks ago I was called on referal to work on a
well respected pianists brand new Mason & Hamlin BB. He just had it
shipped out here all the way from New York where he had picked it out.
This was after trying out dozens of pianos via numerous dealers
including S&S Hall. Upon arrival I inspected the piano and assured him
of what a fine instrument he had purchased. He then proceeded to tell me
all about how he had performed at such & such hall in N.Y., lectured
here, toured there, all about the music he has had published, and so on
and on. I consider this acceptable of course, as I think that any
accomplished artist has the right to brag a little. I assure him that I
am professional and have extensive concert experience and am used to
working with respected pianists.

Other than the obvious needs of a new piano one of his primary concerns
was a number of sluggish keys. He immediately began telling me all about
"what the problem might be" and suggested I look at this and that. I
acknowleged his interest and politely told him that I intended to do a
complete assessment to determine exactly what the problem was. He then
began educating me on "what I shouln't do" based on his interpretaion of
what his former tech in N.Y. told him. It wasn't long before I had
isolated the problem to tight front key bushings. I explained that some
light easing would cure the problem. In a panic he picked up the phone
and called the dealer in N.Y. and told them what I was "planning to do
to his piano", wanting to know if this is REALY what should be done. In
the next room I could hear him explaining once again to the dealer about
how professional he is and that he was not about to let "some guy ease
the keys on my piano". Sheeesh!!!  Eventually he passes the phone to me
and I talk to the dealer. We discuss the problem and it is agreed that I
know what I'm talking about.

Very slowly and carefully I talk him through the proccess and allow him
to closely watch what I'm doing. Eventually he calms a bit and in about
an hour I have his piano back
together and working perfectly. He then tells me one more time about how
great he is and that he expects nothing but the best because he's
"professional".

EXAMPLE #2: A couple of days ago I got a similar call from a
"professionl" with a rebuilt S&S A. I talked to him this evening and he
is already telling me about how great he is. The laughable part about
this is that he wants the work done yesterday and decided he just
couldn't wait for me to check my messages and to call him back. Instead
he called a local "tooner" (the polite way of saying it knowing the guys
reputation), who is now scheduled to tune the piano tomorrow. Now he
says he still wants ME to come and work on his piano afterward. <pulling
out hair>. I just can't wait to see the piano after the fact and here
all about what a great pianist he is all over again. He has already told
me about how he doesn't like the sound of our new (highly praised) D in
our hall here because "the piano isn't old enough". Aaaaaague!!!

I guess what this all boils down to is that there are many pianists out
there who think they are Gods gift to pianos. They seem to beleive that
they have a built-in radar that can detect a good piano from a bad piano
and a good tech from a bad tech. They also know everything there is to
know about what is wrong with their piano, which if were true,
controdicts why they called me. SOOOOO, for those of you who deal with
these kinds of people regularly, what kind of techniques do you use to
keep them in their box and not drive you crazy? How do you keep them out
of your way while you are working? I think I'm handling myself pretty
well in these cases but I would like to hear from other's experiences
and diplomacy. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Northern Arizona U.
Flagstaff, AZ