Wegman

NBWW@AOL.COM NBWW@AOL.COM
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 07:28:34 EDT

List

I just appraised a Wegman upright, #5499. Among other things, it has a few
broken strings and a couple of missing tuning pins. I have never serviced a
piano that has no pinblock-with the tuning pins held in the plate by friction.
If I make replacement pins from standard tuning pins, will the pin threads
interfere, or do I have to machine pins smooth from oversize ones?  Does this
piano have similar tuning characteristics? How long did this pinning style
last? Did other companies use it? The instrument is worth reconditioning and
the client seems interested in doing so. I'm looking forward to the work, but
want to understand more about how to do it. Thanks for any input.

Paul Chick RPT