Wegman

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:17:34 -0700 (MST)

Hi Paul:

You may find the missing tuning pins in the bottom of the piano. If not,
you can cut off a regular pin.

This type of tuning pin arrangement went out of style for a couple of
reasons. It costs more to use the special broach to form the plate holes
after drilling. Some technicians had a hard time adjusting to the slight
modification of tuning technique. Then there was the fear of rust over a
long period which could freeze the pins. The wurlitzer adaptation suffered
this problem even worse than did the Wegman because of the split-pin and
wedge which could easily be made too tight.

Jim Coleman, Sr.