Bridle Straps

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 00:18:03 -0500

----------
> From: pianoman <pianoman@inlink.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Bridle Straps
> Date: Friday, September 18, 1998 4:58 PM
>
> 	I have often wondered why the straps are attached to the butt end of
the
> mechanism rather than the catcher end.  At the catcher end there would
be
> no problems at all about possible jack interference.  Does anyone know
the
> reason for this?
> James Grebe

Attached at the butt the bridle tapes exert more pull.  The straps are to
keep the hammers from "dancing" off the jacks and to return them as fast
as possible for as fast as possible repitition.  That's what some one told
me, sounds good enough to repeat.......
	By going through holes in the catchers the straps are supposidly held
away from the jacks.  Ever see them catch on the eye screws of let off
buttons?   That really screws up repitition.  Don't forget about the
importance of the little felt on the bottom of the catcher right below the
bridle hole.
	The word Bridle refers to the reins (harness) of a horse.  Bridal referrs
to marrage.  In that sense I  suppose bridal really means bridle.

Ric Mithalter