Bridle Straps

Ken Jankura kenrpt@mail.cvn.net
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 12:33:42 -0400

At 09:47 AM 9/19/98 EDT, you wrote:

>In a message dated 9/19/98 8:33:10 AM, Avery wrote:
>
><<"Ken,
>   You may think that until the first time you pick up a vertical action
>without the bridle straps attached. :-)
>Avery">>
>
><<""As Jim Ellis' article from the PTJ a few months ago proved, the main
>function of the brydell straps is to aid repetition. Being attached to the
>butts probably serves this function better.
>Ken"">>
>
>Ken, Avery, et al;
> It has always been my understanding that the bridle straps main function was
>to keep the jacks from dropping out from under the butt when the action/key
>was removed, with all due respect to Mr. Ellis.
>
> Merle describes the straps function: "A narrow strip of cloth that connects
>the wippen to the hammer-butt and holds the two main parts of the vertical
>action in their proper relationship and imparts light impetus to the
returning
>hammer"
>
> If a vertical action is properly regulated, and the centers are as free as
>they should be, the bridle is never extended to a length where the pull of
the
>bridle/wippen places little, if any, force on the hammer unit at all.  If
>however the action is not properly regulated, and the centers are not as free
>as they should be, then each time a note is played the bridle is extended and
>does place a substantial 'return force' on the hammer unit.
>
>  Actions requiring assistance from the bridle tape to return hammers to the
>rail will be typically, less responsive/sluggish and/or suffer from
>insubstantial impact on repetitive strikes.  A "sure" sign of action problems
>is when the bridle is relied on to cause a hammers return.  Doing so causes
>slower movement of both the wippen, and the hammer, and results in poor
>performance overall and this without regard as to the attachment point of the
>tape.
>My view.
>Jim Bryant (FL)
>"if you would agree with me now it will boost my self esteem"
>Faintly Dull

     In the best of all worlds, I like to see the wip flanges slightly on
the loose side and hammer flanges with enough friction so that they don't
bounce, or in that range on the tight side of OK. To my way of thinking,
this does allow the straps to pull the hammer back down, but gives the jack
a head start to returning under the butt. This increases repetition. IMHHO
     Ken
   Ken Jankura, RPT
   Newburg, PA