Empty pinblock

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 08:28:02 EDT

<< Hello list,
   I just bought a knabe 5'2" from a tech who got out of the business.
 When he bought it, he removed the strings and tuning pins. He does not
 remember what size they were. So I have a piano with no string height
 measurements. Since I am new in the field I dont know what problems I
 will run into when re-doing the piano.
 Can someone who has run into this problem help me with some advice so I
 can learn from your mistakes?
 Thanks in Advance

 -Bin >>

I presume the plate is still in the piano. If that is correct, then you can
take the string height.  Just take a piece of string and run it from the
agraffe, or the V bar, to the bridge, and then measure the distance from the
keybed to the string.

As far as stringing, there are several techs out there who can provide you
with a scale. Since you don't know what the condition of the pin block was
before you got the piano, I would recommend you put in a new pin block.

If this is your first attempt at doing this, there have been many good
articles written on this subject in the Journals over the years. The home
office has for sale a book that lists all the tech topic, and where to find
them in the Journals. Either that, or just ask on the list, and every thing
you have ever wanted to know will be answered in minutes, here on the
pianotech page.

Willem Blees