Kranich and Bach Plate Crack

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:33:47 +0000

Hello,
    I own a 7'3" Kranich and Bach which has a crack in the plate webbing
area in the mid-range which extends from just shy of each plate brace.
The crack ranges from about 0 to 1/8" wide and meanders through tuning
pin holes which are very close together and have plate bushings.
(Previous techs rebuilding with oversized pins coupled with plate
bushings may be the cause of the crack).  The pinblock is totally shot,
and the tuning pins lean foward, (toward the strings), about ten
degrees.  Despite these problems, the piano is tunable to A-440 and does
ok, but is getting constantly worse due to loose pins, (i.e. the plate
crack does not seem to be a problem and has not changed in decades)

HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS:
If I replace the pinblock, should I just ignore the crack as if it
weren't there?  When tension is released, will this crack close up?
If it closes up, should I still ignore it? or where would I drill for
the plate pinblock screws which would be changed, (for no tension or
tension)?? If it does not close up, should I fill it with something for
looks?  Do you think the pinblock has pulled away from the plate flange
since the pins all lean forward at such a drastic angle?  (This is hard
to tell since it has delaminated due to many spilled drinks from its'
hotel days). Have any of you replaced pinblocks with plate cracks in the
webbing area and how did it turn out?  Am I in for unexpected problems?

OTHER BIZAAR WIERDITIES ABOUT THIS PIANO
 Piano has not a single agraff, strings make horrendous angles around
bearing bars. Tuning pins crowded.  No duplex scaling. Bridges
excellent, Crown and Downbearing Excellent, no cracks in board. Bridge
pinning is excellent quality, rim and braces very staunch.
Action--retrofitted with Steinway wippens and shanks, capstains
relocated.   Must remove action rails to take action stack off as action
bracket feet screws are under the keys. (I'm still thinking about
options for this).  A standard una-chorda has been added. L-shaped
brackets hold the key frame firmly against the keybed since it is so
terribly thin, so action can shift. Action cavity is small.

Despite these annoyances, the piano has an excellent unique tone, and
has especially pleasing visual lines.  I cannot help but love this old
"Chronic Disease" but must soon rebuild it to keep it going.
-Mike Jorgensen