An American action

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:49:11 -0600

Vballx@AOL.COM wrote:

>   To Dell or list.
>    Can you or anyone tell me anything about actions made by an American
> company called Wesell Nickle&Gross?  This action is in a J.Bauer 6'1"Grand.
>    I had previously thought it was a german action. sorry.  I also noticed the
> dampers on the bass strings would rattle after the cord had been struck.
>    Thank you for any information.

  HI,

W.N.G. actions were used extensively on many pianos including Knabe, some Mason &
Hamlins, and many others. They were also used on many uprights. I have found them
to be pretty darn good and easy to rebuild with new parts without any geometrical
problems. Renner sells a line of grand action parts that fit these quite nicely.

When you say the bass strings rattle do you mean while sustaining? If so check to
see if there is suffecient clearance between the lifter wire and the string. If
the guide rail bushings are worn out the wires may be dancing a bit.

Best wishes,
Rob Goodale, RPT