FW: Previn Concerto

Alan W Deverell aland@casa.co.nz
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 18:41:58 +1200

In my astonishment at this subject matter I posted a copy to a friend.

Anyone want to add to these comments from him ?

I'll file this one with HOAXES, too.  If the piano was intentionally,
or
accidently, tuned to A441, then the oboe tunes to the piano, and  the
orchestra tunes to the oboe - so they should all be in tune.  (Did
Previn say to the orchestra, "I want to be different, so please don't
play in tune with me!!"?)  I might have some of these (not specified)
Previn recordings, but the typical off-centre NZ pressings could
easily
wobble in pitch by this amount.  The BBC always used 440 Hz as a
broadcast line-up tone, and presumably it was available at all their
studios.  I seem to recall that EMI photos showed an intercom(?)
loudspeaker on a stand near the conductor, and I think this was also
used as a 440 Hz tuning source.

As for the A442.  It is not clear whether this is a deliberate choice,
or arises by accident.  I suppose if a tuner has carried around with
him, and bashed a lot, a favourite tuning fork for all of his working
life, then its accuracy could become suspect.  If he keeps it in  his
pocket or the glove box of his car, then temperature could also upset
it.

HIDEOUS AFTERTHOUGHT:  These recordings may have been done in the
infancy and novelty of multi-track recording.  Suppose the pianist was
dissatisfied with his(her) performance and decided to have another go
at
it, or to redo parts of it.  Time has elapsed since the original
session, the temperature and humidity are different in the studio -
even
worse, the studio or instrument might be different.  ("I want to redo
this on a better piano!")  Well, you get the picture.  The relative
pitch between piano and orchestra could easily have drifted apart.

French Horn