Is this common?

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 12:20:02 -0400

Jay/Deb Mercier wrote:

> I recently tuned a 5 yr-old Samick console.  The owner previously moved the
> piano about a year ago (with the help of 3 others).  I don't know how they
> moved it.
>
> I noticed that the top octave and a half was about 4-5 mm lower than the
> rest of the keyboard and a few keys throughout the keyboard were also lower.
>
> Is this common after a move?  AND Is it common for a whole set of keys (in
> this case an octave and a half) to slip that low on a 5-yr. old piano?  AND
> If this problem is not common, does this particular brand have this problem?
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback on this matter,
>
> Jay
> Piano Technician / Teacher - 5 yrs strong!

No, this problem is not common after a move.  I think it is not that
common, period, for this brand or for any other.  My first suspicion
would be the name board felt holding the keys down, maybe even just
folded under, which is not that hard to fix.  If the problem corrects
when removing the name board strip, figure out what to do to correct
it.  When you find the problem I would be very interested in what it
was.

Clyde Hollinger