Who Was Better?

fndango@azstarnet.com fndango@azstarnet.com
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:09:20 -0700

My understanding of the relationship between action manufacturers and
piano manufacturers is that the piano mfg. gives the action mfg.
specifications, then the action mfg. has to make an action that will fit
those specs. Although there may be differences in quality of work from
one action mfg. to another, it seems that the action mfg. could take a
bad rap because of constraints imposed by the piano mfg. Isn't it true
that WNG, for example, would have made actions to different specs for
different piano mfg.

Perhaps someone with more historical knowledge than I have could tell us
how this worked/works.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ