Repitition problem- S&S

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 08:15:19 -0600

Hi all,

I did a quick assessment last night in a S&S "B", circ. 1900-1905-ish. It was
reasonably rebuilt with S&S parts (teflon) in 1981. It's owner, a concert-level
pianist (see my recent "full of themselves" post), is interested in VERY fast
repitition.

Most of the keys repeat very well, however, there are a handfull that are not to
his satisfaction. This guy is pretty incredible with fast repeated notes. I
myself could not get these notes to skip out the way he did but sure enough he
demonstrated several times. My point is that if he can get the other notes to
repeat like he wants these few should be able to do it too. I fiddled around with
it for a few minutes and everything appears to be fine. Jack alignment, back
check, drop, dip, let-off, the spring, all seem to be okay. The center pins seem
to be the perfect tighness. Some tech in the recent past doped the knuckles with
graphite but they arn't too bad. I was able to brush most of it out and I
re-lubed them with Spurlock's magical teflon powder. The notes still do not
repeat like the rest of the keyboard, (though still very fast compaired to most
standards). We are particularly talking about the last 3 1/2 octaves.

Any suggestions? I have never come across a pianist so demanding for this type of
repition but I would like to try and please him. (Keven I know you are silently
lurking, perhaps you could suggest something?)

Thanks,

Rob Goodale, RPT