Repitition problem- S&S

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 11:53:53 EDT

Rob asks:

>Any suggestions? I have never come across a pianist so demanding for this
type
>of
>repition but I would like to try and please him.

   It seems that there was softer wood being used in the action parts for
several years in the late teflon era. The grub in this vintage whippen is
often dented.  This will affect the spring behaviour.   Check  the springs'
feel as you depress the balanciers with your finger.  An erratic feel here
will often cause abberations in extremely fast play.  The distal radius on the
tip of the jack is also suspect, as it can delay jack return.
     Are the backs of the knuckles smooth?  We often get so caught up in the
impelling surface that we forget that the return path down the back of the
knuckle warrants attention.
Just some thoughts.......
Regards,
Ed Foote