Repitition problem- S&S

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:45:55 -0600

Hi Rob,
        If the teflon bushings have a centre pin with the slightest
imperfection this type of pianist will find it. Every thing will be fine
for us lesser mortals. The teflon is unyielding compared to felt, and is
far less forgiving to ANY flaws, slight bends or nicks. The first place I
would look is jack centres. The practice of bending the pin to centre in
the rep lever is not so good at these limits. You may have to replace a
jack or rep lever if the C/P  has been pushed through off centre. A quick
check is to swap a good wippen with a slow one, that at least will seperate
any key problem from the wippen, next switch hammer and shank to rule out
knuckle geometry. These test will put you on the right trail.
Hope this helps.
Roger

At 08:15 AM 23/09/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I did a quick assessment last night in a S&S "B", circ. 1900-1905-ish. It was
>reasonably rebuilt with S&S parts (teflon) in 1981. It's owner, a
concert-level
>pianist (see my recent "full of themselves" post), is interested in VERY fast
>repitition.
>
>Most of the keys repeat very well, however, there are a handfull that are
not to
>his satisfaction. This guy is pretty incredible with fast repeated notes. I
>myself could not get these notes to skip out the way he did but sure
enough he
>demonstrated several times. My point is that if he can get the other notes to
>repeat like he wants these few should be able to do it too. I fiddled
around with
>it for a few minutes and everything appears to be fine. Jack alignment, back
>check, drop, dip, let-off, the spring, all seem to be okay. The center
pins seem
>to be the perfect tighness. Some tech in the recent past doped the
knuckles with
>graphite but they arn't too bad. I was able to brush most of it out and I
>re-lubed them with Spurlock's magical teflon powder. The notes still do not
>repeat like the rest of the keyboard, (though still very fast compaired to
most
>standards). We are particularly talking about the last 3 1/2 octaves.
>
>Any suggestions? I have never come across a pianist so demanding for this
type of
>repition but I would like to try and please him. (Keven I know you are
silently
>lurking, perhaps you could suggest something?)
>
>Thanks,
>
>Rob Goodale, RPT

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre