Transposing action

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 07:32:05 -0400

Richard Moody wrote:

> Hi Jim
>         I  have always had high regards for WN&G actions. There are three
> interesting mentions in Dolge, two of which are pictures, and an
> interesting blurb on Wessel himself.
>
>         But I have never come across a transposing action.  Could you give more
> details?

I tune a 1909 James & Holstrom upright with a transposing keyboard.  The
action is constructed so there are no gaps between the stickers.  An
iron wheel under the keybed is used to slide the entire keyboard to the
left or the right as desired.  The "cheekblocks" are hollow so the
unused keys can slide into them.  There is an indicator in the center so
the owner knows exactly where to position the keyboard.  Sliding the
keyboard to the left one position will cause the piano to sound 1/2-step
flat, since the C keys (for instance) are now under the B stickers.  The
keyboard can be moved two positions either way, enabling the piano to
play from 1 step flat to 1 step sharp.

The first time I tuned this old thing I was surprised to find the entire
piano 15 cents sharp.  I brought it down and tuned it.  Only a year or
two later did I notice the keyboard was shifted one position, so I had
actually tuned the piano a half-step flat.  But I never changed it,
because the mechanism was disabled anyway, and it sounds like it's at
A440.

Clyde Hollinger