Discounting (was - RE: A New One)

Alan W Deverell aland@casa.co.nz
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:52:29 +1200

I am definitely against unjustified discounting and here are some of
the reasons:

1) The "standard" price should represent:

		The quality of the product;
		the costs of making/getting it to the market;
		the cost of establishing/securing the sale;
		the value of any after sales service/support;
		the cost of administering the sale/transaction;
		an appropriate return on underlying capital investment/training;
etc.
		other industry specific factors.

2) Unless merited by valid and appropriate personal or commercial
factors a "discount" can say:

		Yes, I'm charging TOO much;
		my product is not WORTH what I am asking for it;
		I would not have GIVEN you the after sales service/support anyway;
		my family can (deserve to) LIVE on less so your family have more;
		so, your customer needs/deserves a GRATUITY ? !!!!
		yes, "kick-backs" are an acceptable business practice;
		I can see that YOUR needs are greater than mine;
		I desperately NEED work and will meet any price/arrangement;
		I can survive the time distractions of "negotiating" instead 				of
actually using that time for working;
		etc. etc. etc.

I could go on... but, I have to spend SOME time working.

AlanD (fighting to balance his distractions with work)