tone sustain

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 17:08:36

Frank wrote:

>The other night I tuned a Samick grand.  Man, was the customer mad!!!
>He said that the paino sounded terrible, like a honky-tonk piano.  I
>went back and tried to clean up some of the false beats, but the piano
>is full of them every where.  That's not what he was mad about, however.
>
>He didn't like the extremely bright tone of the piano.  I had brought
>the pitch up, mostly in the upper half of the paino, and he noticed the
>increased brightness.  I told him I could reduce the brightness wjith
>voicing, but not tuning. So...he's calling the Samick rep to see what
>they say.
>
>I've had better weeks.  Oh well, Fridays almost here.
>--
>
>Frank Cahill
>Associate Member
>Northern Va

Steam! Steam! Steam!

Take an electric kettle, put some (not much) water in it, plug it in. Take
out the piano action, put it within reach of the wildly steaming kettle.
Walk along the action with the kettle, putting each hammer into and out of
the spout, in-out, no waiting around in there, just touch them with it.
Then a light filing for where they swelled unevenly.

Your customer will know that something happened.

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370