Who Was Better?

Thu, 24 Sep 1998 19:44:34 -0700

Bob,

I don't know enough about the WNG action making company to tell you exactly how
they operated.

I do know that if I order a complete action stack from an action manufacturer
today, that is just what I'll get.  An assembled action stack.  Before making
and shipping this stack, they will have asked me a few questions about various
things like action center spacing -- they will need a scale stick -- and about
how tall a foot to put on the wippen and what shape it should have.  But, that's
about it.  I will be expected to design and fully specify the key set which will
probably be made by some other company.  I will also be expected to mount the
action on the keyframe.  It will have to be in the correct location, both
vertically and fore and aft and I will have to determine this specification.
Depending on the key manufacturer, I may be required to drill and install the
capstans and the backchecks.  I will be required to determine how many leads go
in each key and where they go.  I will be expected to install the hammers (of my
choice) and fit the action to the action cavity.  I will be expected to regulate
the action to either my specifications or those of the action manufacturer.

So, yes, as you point out there are many places for the piano manufacturer to go
astray along the way.  Just because three different manufacturers claim to have
Renner actions doesn't mean that they will all play and feel the same.

Regards,

Del