Samicks pianos

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 07:42:41 -0700 (MST)

Hi Glenn:

The American manufacturers shot themselves in the foot before the Korean
manufacturers were a real threat. There is only one American manufacturer
that survived the decline and that was the Walter Piano Co. Their commitment
to quality is what saved them. All the rest went down the tubes including
Steinway (sold 3 times), Baldwin (sold one time), Chickering Knabe M&H etc.
winter and its multiple names (sold two or three times), Everett (sold once)
Story & Clark (sold twice), The Japanese piano had the greatest effect upon
the American market until the Koreans discovered that quality is the way to
go. Yamaha has shown that with the right management pianos can be made well
even in America. Kawai and Samick are trying to do the same here. Let us
not cry about the Chinese pianos. It is Americans and Japanese who are
helping them start to do it right. Bub Corey from the original Wurlitzer
plant has been over there for over ten years. Roger Weisensteiner has been
over there for about 3 years. The main problem as I see it and as Del F.
sees it is that American design work stopped 20 or 30 years ago. Wurlitzer
knew how to manufacture. They just didn't consider R&D to be as important.
Winter never did consider R&D at all. Baldwin gave some consideration to
R&D. Steinway tried an ill fated improvement which took them 20 years to
get over. They are playing catchup now. It's going to be tough for them
competing from a high cost labor market.

You can believe very little what some salesmen will say just to nail a sale.
Don't sweat your misguided friends comments.

Jim Coleman, Sr.