tone sustain

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 10:26:32 -0600

I've had the greatest success with steaming Samicks.  In other words, no
other piano I've tried it on has it worked so well.  Huge tonal improvement.
I needled a bit first, hitting the really bad notes with some extra
needling.  Then I go through with my steam pot.  Even with only 1/2 second
of dipping the hammer right in the steaming spout, you can watch the needle
holes close right up as the hammer drinks up!

Now keep in mind this was the dry season in a dry area (northern Colorado)
but it worked wonders.

Yamahas are very bright but they still have tonal quality.  When Samicks get
that bad, I can't even stand to hear them play.  Jokes aside, I have to wear
earplugs because the sound approaches physical pain.

Did you seat the strings to the bridge?  That helped too.

Glenn.